|Name||Municipality of Tetovo|
|Address||Dervish Cara,nn, 1200 Tetovo, Republic of North Macedonia|
|Entity type||Local self-government unit|
|Category||Local self-government unit|
|Contact person||Idriz Shaqiri|
|Description of core activities||The first writings for the existence of Tetovo, date from the antique period with the name Enea. From collected data, the Polog Region has once been a lake. These data are supported from the traces found in Baltepe (The Honey Hill), where it is the plateaus with rocks from the lake with 770m above sea level. According to the Turkish documents, Tetovo in the 16th century was treated as a village in the Polog Valley. In the 15th century Tetovo is mentioned as a centre; in the Vakif of Mehmed Bey in 1436 it is noted that Tetovo had stores and shops and many new streets were being built. According to Mehmed Bekir Celebi (1470), Tetovo begins to look like a town.With the arrival of the Ottomans, a development was noted. In this period many cultural-historic monuments were built, such as: The Painted Mosque, Arabati Baba Teke, The Orthodox Place of Worship ‘Ss Cyril and Methodius’, The Old Hamam (The Old Turkish Bath), The Castle of Tetovo, The Stone Bridge upon River Shkumbin (Pena).
At this time, the house architecture began to change, as they were beginning to have an oriental look. In 1689, Tetovo gained its namet. In Tetovo there are plenty of churches, which depending on the time they were built, have their specific historical value.
From the past period it is worth mentioning the Library of Arabati Baba Teke (18th -19th century), because it was used as e centre of education and culture alongside the Islamic teaching. In this library the works of scholars with splendid calligraphy were later decorated with leather sheath.
A rapid development of Tetovo takes place in the second part of the 19th century till the Balkan Wars, when Tetovo was a commercial and a craft centre.
PAfter the Balkan Wars, the entire Balkans was in crises, consequently Tetovo felt the stagnation. After the World War Two, the entire region begins to develop, including Tetovo.